Happy Digital Agency Day 2017!!
Finally — a holiday to honor Digital Agencies!! Despite what the TV series Mad Men may lead you to believe, agency life isn’t always glamorous. Its fast paced and every-changing environment makes it a tough industry that always challenges you to give 110%. To celebrate Digital Agency Day, we would like to review the History of Advertising Agencies, with help from WhatRunsWhere.
Before there was a Digital Agency Day, or specialized agencies for that matter, we just had advertising agencies.
- 1841 – The first advertising agency popped up in Philadelphia and focused on selling advertising space in newspapers. After the success of print, TV and radio advertisements made a splash.
- 1922 – The first paid radio ads aired in August, 1922. Many people believe that the earliest radio commercial was the WEAF “toll broadcasting” program developed by AT&T. Queensboro Corporation, a NY Real estate company, paid $100 for a 10-min advertisement promoting Long Island apartments.
- 1930 – By this time, almost 90% of all the radio stations in the country were broadcasting commercials.
- 1941 – The first TV ad appeared on July 1, 1941 during a baseball game on a local channel in New York. It was a 10-second commercial for Bulova watches. At a cost of only $4, it revolutionized both television programming and advertising.
- 1990’s – Digital marketing came along and changed the world of advertising forever — creating a highly targeted environment that allows advertisers to get the most out of their marketing budgets.
As a digital agency in Philadelphia, the birthplace of advertising agencies, Push10 wants to take today to recognize trailblazers in advertising history, as well as our fellow digital agencies, and thank them for always pushing us to work harder and think outside the box. For it is the creativity, passion and innovation of others that has allowed for our industry to progress past the days of Don Draper and the golden era. And while we can try to predict digital advertising trends in 2017 and beyond, there is only one thing for certain — the future is digital.
For more Digital Agency Day celebrations, watch these webinars hosted by agencies, guest speakers and key players in the digital marketing arena.